In Basic Writing Theory and Practice this
semester, I read many interesting papers (see my thoughts on them in separate
blog posts), participated in a number of interesting discussions (especially
the two role-playing exercises over basic writing policy), undertook some
challenging writing assignments (see my reflective essay on my literacy
narrative), and came away with a good overview of the issues involved with
basic writing. But I am most grateful for the opportunity to have learned about
Mina Shaughnessy in such depth through a very enjoyable book review project.
I
read Mina P. Shaughnessy: Her Life and Work, by Jane
Maher, three times at different stages of the project. Each time, I found
the language in the text to be so well-crafted—both the excerpts of what Mina,
her friends, colleagues, and others in her world had written, and Maher’s own
language in knitting these elements together. The contrast between the way in
which these writers and speakers were able to express themselves, and the murky
language of the basic writing students at the heart of the work was poignant.
The
drama of Mina’s life, as recounted in Maher’s biography, animated my
understanding of basic writing, basic writing students, and the social and
political issues surrounding them. City College’s role in the birth of the
field, the university’s Open Admissions policy, and the stormy years that
followed, are crucial to appreciating the history of this new approach to
teaching unprepared students. Questions about assessment, placement, course
credit for so-called remedial courses, course structure, and staffing persist
today.
What I admire most about Mina
Shaughnessy, as Jane Maher describes her, was her problem-solving approach to
her students’ writing difficulties and her optimistic sense that their skills
could improve. She did not judge them as she worked tirelessly on their behalf.
These traits are no less important today in a teacher working with high-needs
students.
It was a special bonus to meet Jane
Maher. Her own experience as a committed teacher of basic writing brought the
issues that Mina faced into the modern day.
Finally, it was a pleasure to work on the
group book report with Nick, Sok, and Maria. We all shared an admiration for Mina
Shaughnessy and Jane Maher’s book, and we each contributed a different element
to the final presentation. In an earlier group project in another class, I had
done the bulk of the work on the visual presentation. This time, we were all
full partners in creating the shared Google Power Point. I believe we came up
with an appropriate way to divide the topic, and I feel we gave our classmates
a good sense of who Mina Shaughnessy was and her place in basic writing. The
project helped me grow more comfortable with group work, and I am proud of what
we accomplished together.
No comments:
Post a Comment